A brand new Fortnite update was rolled out earlier today (October 4), bringing the game to version 22.10 with the first major content update of Chapter 3 Season 4.
Fortnite players kept twiddling their thumbs yesterday, as the official Fortnite Status Twitter Account Informed Players that the emergency downtime for the new update would begin earlier than planned. Downtime was originally supposed to start at 4AM ET, but shortly after the announcement was made, Epic Games confirmed that the downtime would start early, leading to 10+ hours of server maintenance.
Fortunately, the servers are now back online and a new patch is available for download. Check out all the details about the Fortnite v22.10 update in the official patch notes below.
Fortnite Update 3.70 Patch Notes for v22.10
WORK WITH THE COBRA DMR
It is not easy to escape the long range of a Cobra DMR. With its high rate of fire, opponents can be defeated quickly if you have a steady hand. Find Cobra DMRs from the ground, chests, supply drops, fish, plunder sharks and Reality Sapling Fruit!
(With the arrival of the Cobra DMR, the normal DMR has been vaulted.)
UNLOCK NEW FEATURES
So far, in Chapter 3 Season 4, you’ve used Keys to open Low-Security Vaults and High-Security Vaults. Now Holo-Chests join the recipient roster! Use one key to open a Holo-Chest with an item you want: Holo-Chests display a holographic preview of what’s inside so you know if it has what you need before opening it.
Do you have something exotic in mind? If you’re too far away from a selling character, use two keys to open an exotic holo chest! Exotic holo chests contain an exotic item, and as you might expect, they display a holographic preview of that item.
GRAPPLING WITH THE PAST – THE GRAPPLE GLOVE IS BACK!
Who says you can’t keep vibin’ in paradise? The grapple glove from Chapter 3 Season 3: Vibin’ is not domed! How does the grapple glove work?
- To start swinging, shoot the grappling hook at a hard surface such as a cliff, support or building. Each successive swing gets faster until the third swing and after that, when you’re at maximum speed.
- If you miss a shot and land on the ground, you have a short time to shoot the grappling hook and come back swinging. You’ll have an even longer window if you slide out of a swing, so don’t be afraid to combine a few slides in your swinging action!
- Don’t worry if your time is up: after a short cool-down, the grapple glove will prepare itself again. When the grappling glove is ready again, take to the air again… or grab something out of reach – the grappling hook can also be used to pull objects towards you! Keep shooting the grappling hook until your grappling glove is empty.
Unlike Chapter 3 Season 3, grapple gloves are not stored in grapple glove tool chests. This time they can be found from the ground, chests, supply drops and legendary and mythical reality Sapling Fruit. Grapple Gloves are available until the v22.20 update.
MORE FOR NOTHING
Bytes’ The Nothing’s Gift Pickaxe is featured on page 2 of the Chapter 3 Season 4 Battle Pass. As of v22.10, anyone who has unlocked this pickaxe (or will unlock this pickaxe) will receive Bytes missions! Equip Bytes and complete these Quests to unlock up to seven alternate styles for The Nothing’s Gift, including The Dread Claw, Sharpened Sunburst, Razer Thorn, and more. What can not Chrome be cast in?
CHAPTER 3 SEASON 4 SUPER LEVEL STYLES
Become chromatic. In the Bonus Rewards section of the Battle Pass tab, bonus styles for this season’s Battle Pass outfits are available to players who progress beyond level 100. Beginning October 6 at 9:00 a.m. ET, this season’s Super Level styles will be available!
What are the Super Level Styles this season? Go beyond Level 140 in Chapter 3 Season 4 and unlock the Celestial, Spectral, and Aurelian Styles for Bytes, Lennox Rose, Paradigm (Reality-659), Meow Skulls, and Spider-Gwen.
DETAILED SQUAD COMMS WHEEL…IN DETAIL
An enemy was here! Look, loot there! As of v22.00 you may have noticed a more robust Squad Comms Wheel. Hold down your ping button to pull up the Squad Comms Wheel and post more detailed pings for your squad – or send orders to your hired characters.
While your squadmates ignore the added “View This Place” or “Defend Here” details when they’re halfway through the map, characters you’ve hired on the island will follow your every command. Place markers so they can go to a point, follow you, or even resuscitate a downed teammate!
- Boogie Bombs have vaulted into both non-competitive and competitive playlists.
- Most one-handed pickaxes, such as the Gum Brawler and Tribute’s Flail, would previously equip by flying into the player’s hand. We’ve adapted this into a new gear animation in v22.10.
- In case you missed it, we recently released a balance hotfix for EvoChrome Shotguns and EvoChrome Burst Rifles:
- The availability of their floor loot has now been increased.
- Unusual, Rare, Epic and Legendary versions can now be found in Chrome and Regular Chests.
- The damage required to upgrade an EvoChrome weapon at any rarity level is now significantly reduced.
- The grapple glove is not included in competing playlists.
- In case you missed it, the Ranger Shotgun was recently added to competitive playlists.
IMPORTANT BUG SOLUTIONS
- Players on the controller can now navigate through the inventory consistently with the left thumbstick.
- Fixed an issue that caused the map to default to the Map tab even if it was previously closed in the Missions tab.
- Lennox Rose’s hair no longer blocks the reticle while crouching.
- Players should no longer get stuck walking through chromed structures in Herald’s Sanctum.
- Chrome building pieces now lose their visual effects when the fire is out.
- Fixed an issue where Chrome Vortex visual/screen effects persisted under certain conditions.
- The “Reset to last saved position” button in the HUD Layout Tool on mobile returns all buttons to the last saved position.
- Fixed an issue with cutting hair through headwear on different outfits.
- Blackheart’s Character indicator reappears on the minimap.
- The Storm notification no longer appears in the center of the screen.